Story: Nelson places

Gold mining mural

Gold mining mural

This mural on the public toilet in Tapawera in the upper Motueka River valley depicts a digger panning for gold. Gold was first found in the area in 1859. A sitting of the Nelson Provincial Council in 1861 voted that  £100 (around $10,000 in 2010 terms) would be offered as a prize for the discovery of a payable goldfield in the area. The next year four men received £25 apiece for their discovery in the Rolling River (a tributary of the Wangapeka). Gold was also found in the Tadmor, Sherry and Wangapeka river valleys.

Using this item

Private collection
Photograph by Jock Phillips

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'Nelson places - Motueka and the Motueka River valley', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/29092/gold-mining-mural (accessed 10 August 2022)

Story by Carl Walrond, updated 22 Apr 2015