Tarakohe harbour was built in several stages by the Golden Bay Cement Company for shipping out cement. From 1908 to 1988 the cement works was a vital part of the Golden Bay economy, employing many people. The wharf is still used to barge out dolomite, which is quarried at Mt Burnett near Collingwood. The harbour now offers shelter for fishing, scalloping and pleasure boats.
Using this item
Golden Bay Promotion Association
Photograph by Anita Henderson
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.