Rabbit and Rough islands, which guard Waimea Inlet from Tasman Bay, were once dunelands. Planting of pines began in 1921, and these sand islands are now covered in forests. In the foreground is the entrance for vessels to Waimea Inlet and Māpua wharf. The beach along the Tasman Bay shore of Rabbit Island is popular for swimming in summer. The island is linked to the mainland by a causeway.
Using this item
Natural Sciences Image Library of New Zealand
Photograph by G. R. Roberts
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.