Story: Nelson places

Māpua wharf

Māpua wharf

Children fish from Māpua wharf in 2010. In the late 1800s Māpua was an important coastal port. From around 1920 it got much busier in autumn, as apples grown in the Moutere hills were shipped out from there. As roads improved apples were trucked to Port Nelson instead. The Māpua cool stores and other buildings have been converted into restaurants, galleries and shops, revitalising the area.

Using this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Carl Walrond

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'Nelson places - Moutere Hills and Tasman Bay', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/29062/mapua-wharf (accessed 26 September 2021)

Story by Carl Walrond, updated 22 Apr 2015