Story: Nelson places

Former post office, Wakefield

Former post office, Wakefield

Originally known as Pitfure, this small town changed its name to Wakefield to commemorate Captain Arthur Wakefield who was killed in the Wairau affray in 1842. Wakefield has some well-preserved historic buildings, such as this former post office, built in 1909, and the oldest surviving church in the South Island – St John’s Anglican church, built in 1846.

Using this item

Private collection
Photograph by Jock Phillips

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'Nelson places - Richmond and the Waimea Plains', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, (accessed 23 June 2024)

Story by Carl Walrond, updated 22 Apr 2015