St Michael's is the successor to the first church in Nelson province, and was probably the first memorial church in New Zealand. The current building was constructed in 1866, replacing an earlier small country church built in 1843. The 1866 building was designed by explorer and surveyor Thomas Brunner as a memorial to Captain F. H. Blundell. Blundell was an early Wairau valley runholder who died in 1865 and was buried in the churchyard. The original roof shingles have been replaced by corrugated iron but there has been little other alteration.
Using this item
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.