Story: Nelson places

Broadgreen

Broadgreen

Broadgreen homestead in Stoke, with its two storeys and 11 rooms, is unusually large for a New Zealand cob building (made from a mixture of mud and straw). It was built from around 1854 as a home for the merchant Edmund Buxton, his wife and six daughters. The historic house is managed as a museum and is open to the public.

Using this item

Broadgreen Society
Photograph by Denis Le Cren

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'Nelson places - Nelson surrounds and suburbs', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/28998/broadgreen (accessed 31 March 2020)

Story by Carl Walrond, updated 22 Apr 2015