Story: Nelson places

Cawthron steps, Church Hill

Cawthron steps, Church Hill

The granite steps leading up to Christ Church Cathedral from Trafalgar Street are named after Thomas Cawthron, the founder of the Cawthron Institute, a scientific research centre in Nelson. Cawthron financed the construction of the steps in 1912 and 1913, using granite from a quarry in Tonga Bay in what is now Abel Tasman National Park. The first church was built on top of Church Hill in 1851. In 1887 a second church was constructed on the site, mainly utilising the timbers of the original. In 1925 work began on the current building, of Tākaka marble. Due to high costs it took many years to complete. The concrete tower was added in 1965.

Using this item

Flickr: philrickerby's photostream
Photograph by Phil Rickerby

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'Nelson places - Nelson city', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/28991/cawthron-steps-church-hill (accessed 25 August 2019)

Story by Carl Walrond, updated 22 Apr 2015