In 2009 the Clutha’s only surviving ferry service was the Tuapeka Mouth punt, which has operated since 1896. The punt, a platform attached to two pontoons, is also attached by wire ropes to overhead cables. It runs from 8 to 10 a.m. and 4 to 6 p.m. – but today most cars take the Clydevale bridge, 10 kilometres downstream.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence