Balclutha began life as ‘The Ferry’, the site of a ferry crossing on the mighty Clutha River from 1852. Gold brought new settlers, and a bridge was built, but was lost – along with four others further upstream – in a flood in 1878. The current bridge opened in 1935, prompting four days of celebration by delighted locals.
Listen to a Roadside Story about the bridges on the Clutha River. Roadside Stories is a series of audio guides to places around New Zealand.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.