The most substantial industrial establishment in Green Island was the Burnside freezing works, which opened in 1883 and finally closed in 2008. For many years it dealt mainly with venison. The works were located adjacent to the main South Island rail line, to facilitate the transport of stock. Saddle Hill, west of Green Island, dominates in the background, in this photograph from around 1940.
Using this item
Hocken Library, University of Otago
Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.