Story: Otago places

Seacliff lunatic asylum

Seacliff lunatic asylum

The Seacliff lunatic asylum was a large assemblage of buildings 28 kilometres north of Dunedin. Designed by architect Robert Lawson in a style that has been described as ‘Scottish baronial’, the building ruined his career when structural defects were found in it. When Truby King was superintendent, from 1889 to 1921, creative forms of treatment were pioneered.

Using this item

Hocken Library, University of Otago
Reference: S09-038d

Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Malcolm McKinnon, 'Otago places - North of Dunedin', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/22751/seacliff-lunatic-asylum (accessed 13 May 2021)

Story by Malcolm McKinnon, updated 1 Jul 2015