Langford's store at Bainham in the Aorere River valley, on the road to the Heaphy Track, is a Golden Bay icon. It is a historic country store unchanged in its décor, still boasting its nine pink letterboxes (at far left). The store and post office opened in 1928 and have been open ever since. Edward Bates Langford, known as EB, was the postmaster. In 1947 his granddaughter Lorna began helping out while she was still doing her secondary schooling by correspondence. She ended up working there for 61 years, and after she retired in 2008 the store still remained in family hands, run by EB’s great-granddaughter Sukhita Langford.
Using this item
Photograph by Caren Wilton
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.