Story: Nelson places

Riverside community mural

Riverside community mural

This mural at Riverside community in Lower Moutere depicts aspects of community life. Riverside was founded by Christian pacifists in 1941 and had around 20 adult members in 1950, but by the 1960s the population was ageing. The community was reinvigorated when the requirement to be a practising Christian was dropped in the early 1970s. Members entrust their assets to the community. Adults share responsibility for the community’s management, and most work on its dairy farm, orchard or café. All adults receive the same income and parents get an allowance for each child. Members of Riverside see their way of life as a demonstration that a community can thrive without being focused on competition.

Using this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'Nelson places - Moutere Hills and Tasman Bay', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/29074/riverside-community-mural (accessed 26 September 2021)

Story by Carl Walrond, updated 22 Apr 2015