The Cardrona Hotel and the general store next door are the only buildings in Cardrona township that date from the gold-rush days of 1865–70. One owner, Jim Paterson, who ran the hotel from 1926, was remembered for rationing his customers – those who were driving over the Crown Range were only allowed one beer, while people heading for Wānaka could have two.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence