800 metres long and 50 metres deep, the Blue Lake is the result of water filling the excavations carried out by the Kildare mine over 70 years. A 120-metre hill became a 58-metre deep pit, where a massive 68.8-metre hydraulic mining lift operated until the mine was abandoned in 1934. The lake is used in winter for skating and curling.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence