Story: Otago places

Cable car to Highgate

Cable car to Highgate

Dunedin schoolboys ride a cable car from the city, probably around 1940. Cable cars and trams opened up the hillsides above the city for housing, and remained a feature of the city until the 1950s.

Using this item

Hocken Library, University of Otago
Reference: S05-249a

Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Malcolm McKinnon, 'Otago places - Northern Dunedin', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/22769/cable-car-to-highgate (accessed 16 September 2019)

Story by Malcolm McKinnon, updated 29 Jul 2015