Dunedin’s Chinese garden opened in 2008, acknowledging the place of Chinese in the city and province since gold miners arrived from Guangzhou, South China, in 1866. The area is modelled on a scholar’s garden of the late Ming–early Qing period (late 1500s to 1700s). Designed in collaboration with the Shanghai Museum, the garden was pre-fabricated and set up in Shanghai, and then dismantled, moved to Dunedin and re-assembled.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Janine Faulknor
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence