At the invitation of local whaler Johnny Jones, James Watkin established a Wesleyan (Methodist) mission at Karitāne in 1840 – the first mission station of any denomination in the South Island. He was followed by Charles Creed from 1844 to 1852. The mission then closed, but the 1840 building was still standing when this photo was taken in 1887.
Using this item
Hocken Library, University of Otago
Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.