In 1947, when Doris Lusk painted the suburb of Tāhunanui, it was a semi-rural holiday spot. Tāhunanui was promoted as a residential subdivision and beach resort from the 1920s and became very popular over summer. Today the flat areas are heavily built-up with housing, although the holiday park remains amongst trees behind the beach. By 1987 the campground had a capacity of 4,500 people. In the 2000s it was still one of the largest in the country.
Using this item
Hocken Library, University of Otago
Oil painting by Doris Lusk
Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.