In 2007, 160-year-old graves, many of children, and remnants of buildings were uncovered when new classrooms were being built at Tolaga Bay Area School. The buildings were likely those of a mission settlement established by the Reverend Charles Baker in 1843, and the dead were likely to have been Māori who had been living at the mission. The kōiwi (human remains) were subsequently reburied in a community ceremony. In this photo Arai Parata-Walker hands one of the wahakura kōiwi (woven baskets containing remains) to teacher Rawiri Coleman.
Using this item
Tolaga Bay Area School & Kuranui
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.