Story: Canterbury places

Cust belfry

Cust belfry

This brick belfry was built in 1882 for the nearby church of St James-on-the-Cust. It houses a bell donated by Sir Edward Cust (after whom the town of Cust was named) in the 1860s. The church was built in 1865.

Using this item

Heritage New Zealand – Pouhere Taonga

Permission of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

John Wilson, 'Canterbury places - Rangiora district', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/10204/cust-belfry (accessed 6 December 2019)

Story by John Wilson, reviewed & revised 6 Jul 2015, updated 17 Aug 2015