These men are cutting flax in the Makerua swamp, for processing at the Miranui flax mill near Shannon, in 1917. Owned by the Seifert brothers, Miranui (Māori for ‘big mill’) operated from 1907 to 1933, and was the largest in the district. At its peak there were seven stripping machines and 300 men. Compared to other mills, Miranui had excellent labour relations.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.