In 1863 Lake Papaitonga, also known as Waiwiri, was surrounded by bush, with Māori settlements on its shores. One housed around 400 people and had storehouses on poles in the shallow water. This watercolour is by Charles Barraud.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.