Story: Canterbury places

Lake Coleridge powerhouse

Lake Coleridge powerhouse

After the Lake Coleridge hydroelectric power station opened in 1914, demand for electricity for homes and industries grew. By the 1920s work to increase the generation capacity began. This involved building a second intake at a greater depth. The intake cylinder is being lowered to the bed of the lake in 1925.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: PA-Group-00707, formerly part of the Energy Library collection

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

John Wilson, 'Canterbury places - Mid-Canterbury ranges', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/10282/lake-coleridge-powerhouse (accessed 16 July 2019)

Story by John Wilson, reviewed & revised 6 Jul 2015, updated 17 Aug 2015