Story: Canterbury places

Lyttelton Port

Lyttelton Port

The major port of Lyttelton was developed from 1877 by the Lyttelton Harbour Board, now known as Port Lyttelton Company. The container terminal at the port opened in 1977.

Using this item

Lyttelton Port Company

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

John Wilson, 'Canterbury places - Lyttelton Harbour', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/10245/lyttelton-port (accessed 6 August 2021)

Story by John Wilson, reviewed & revised 6 Jul 2015, updated 17 Aug 2015