The Peacock fountain is one of the glories of the Christchurch Botanic Gardens. Dating from 1911, it was the result of a bequest by prominent Christchurch businessman and politician John Peacock. It is a fine example of Edwardian ornamental cast ironwork. By 1949 the internal pipes had deteriorated and the fountain was removed. In 1996 restoration began, and it was officially reopened in 1997.
Using this item
Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Melanie Lovell-Smith
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence