In 2006 (top) Cathedral Square was dominated by the soaring spire of the Anglican Cathedral, designed in the Gothic revival style and completed in 1904. In 2014 (bottom), following the earthquake of February 2011, only the shell of the cathedral remained. However, Neil Dawson’s artwork ‘Chalice’ (erected to the right of the cathedral in 2001) stood firm. It had been put up to mark the millennium and 150 years since the establishment of Christchurch, and was sculpted from shapes representing the leaves of native plants.
Using this item
Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photographs by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence