It is difficult to see the remains of Kaiapoi pā from the ground, but from the air the club-shaped outline of the earthworks is visible. Built around 1700, the pā was the largest and most important of Ngāi Tahu strongholds. It was considered impregnable, but Ngāti Toa invaders from the north breached its defences in 1832 and slaughtered the inhabitants.
Using this item
Department of Conservation
Photograph by Kevin Jones
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment