Story: Canterbury places

Hurunui Hotel

Hurunui Hotel

In the 1940s the Hurunui Hotel, which still stands on the south bank of the Hurunui River, was owned by James O’Connell. It has reputedly held its licence since 1869.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: 1/2-073963; G

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

John Wilson, 'Canterbury places - Cheviot district', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/10142/hurunui-hotel (accessed 29 May 2020)

Story by John Wilson, reviewed & revised 6 Jul 2015, updated 17 Aug 2015