Story: Canterbury places

Parnassus railway station, 1917

Parnassus railway station, 1917

Until 1912 the main railway north of Christchurch ended at Parnassus. By 1917, when this photograph was taken, the link through to Marlborough was being built. It was not completed until 1945.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: APG-0516-1/2-G

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

John Wilson, 'Canterbury places - Cheviot district', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, (accessed 19 April 2024)

Story by John Wilson, reviewed & revised 6 Jul 2015, updated 17 Aug 2015