Story: Canterbury places

Edmonds baking powder factory

Edmonds baking powder factory

Thomas Edmonds founded a baking products business in Christchurch in 1879, and later built a factory in the industrial section of Ferry Road in Woolston. With its prominent slogan and beautiful gardens, the factory became a landmark. It is depicted on the front of the Edmonds cookery book, which became immensely popular with home cooks throughout New Zealand. Amidst much controversy, the factory was demolished in 1990.

About this item

Goodman Fielder

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

John Wilson, 'Canterbury places - South Christchurch', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/ephemera/10233/edmonds-baking-powder-factory (accessed 21 August 2017)

Story by John Wilson, reviewed & revised 6 Jul 2015, updated 17 Aug 2015