There has been a Māori settlement at Rāpaki, on Lyttelton Harbour, since at least the time of Ngāi Tahu settlement of the area. After the land purchases of the 1840s, land for Māori was set aside there. The church, dedicated in 1869, is one of several historic buildings still standing. This watercolour was painted in 1871.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.