Weka Pass lies between the northern end of the Canterbury Plains and the Amuri district. It was first used by Māori as a thoroughfare and shelter more than 500 years ago. Their rock drawings, on the walls of limestone overhangs, survive today. This 1876 painting is an imagined scene at the pass, showing some of the drawings.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.