This watercolour is of Wellington Beach, just north of Windy Point (now the corner of Lambton Quay and Willis Street) in 1856. The quay connected the northern and southern parts of the settlement, Thorndon and Te Aro, and was lined with shops, hotels and other small businesses. The warehouse at right is a converted barque, the Inconstant. In 1849 the vessel had foundered at the harbour’s entrance, and it was later salvaged by local merchant John Plimmer. Nicknamed Plimmer’s Ark, it quickly became the centre of Wellington trade. Opposite the Ark is Barrett’s Hotel, also owned by Plimmer and named after the early whaler Dicky Barrett.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.