The sawmill at Whangapoua, which first operated in 1861, was one of the largest on the Coromandel Peninsula. At the time this photo was taken, in 1898, the mill was owned by the Kauri Timber Company, a Melbourne-based syndicate that dominated the industry from 1888.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.