This school started in 1887, but was put on a more permanent basis with new buildings and permanent staff, between 1896 and 1898. In 1898 the school had 60 students. It closed in 1936, by which time mining had largely ceased in the district. Since 1957 the buildings have housed a museum.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Janine Faulknor
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence