The Carnegie Library building was one of more than 2,500 libraries worldwide funded by US steel magnate and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie in the early 20th century. Completed and opened in June 1908, it is one of 18 Carnegie libraries in New Zealand. The entrance steps were a typical feature of the libraries, signifying that learning elevates a person.
By the late 20th century the building was no longer used as a library. It was subsequently restored and strengthened, and formed part of the West Coast Historical Museum.
Using this item
Photograph by Simon Nathan
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.