Seddonville is the northernmost part of the Buller coalfield. Although high-quality bituminous coal had been known there since the 1870s, it could not be worked and sold until a railway line to the port of Westport was opened in 1893. This train is carrying coal from the Westport-Cardiff mine, about 1897. The company collapsed soon after afterwards. A nearby mine was later opened up by the Seddonville State Mine.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.