Ngāti Tūwharetoa had an important settlement at Waitahanui, near where the Tongariro River enters Lake Taupō (not to be confused with the Waitahanui Stream, closer to Taupō town). Later, the paramount chief Mananui Te Heuheu moved to Te Rapa, above Waihī. George French Angas painted the Waitahanui pā about 1847, by which time it was referred to as the ‘old pā’.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.