Over the years a few New Zealanders have lived in Argentina, where they were associated with agricultural pursuits. The most famous of these was A. A. Cameron, of Hakataramea, who went to South America about 1893 and became almost a legendary figure in Argentina and Chile. He joined the Sociedad Explotadora de Tierra del Fuego and established what became the largest sheep station in the world. Although the station began with Merino sheep, Cameron later imported New Zealand Corriedales. When he retired in 1915 he established New Zealand Phormium tenax in Argentina. Another New Zealander, Edgar Clarke, of Waimate, has been engineer to the Tierra del Fuego Co.