This photograph, taken about 1900, shows David Con Hutton at work at his easel. The large room, filled with plaster copies of Greek and Roman statuary and paintings, was probably a classroom. In 1870 Hutton had brought 11 cases of models and other art equipment to Dunedin, which were carried for free by the shipping line in recognition of their purpose.
Hutton was a successful and busy teacher. Those attending art schools ranged from children to adults. Dunedin’s Otago School of Art, for example, trained teachers and pupil-teachers, and staff visited schools in the surrounding district. ‘Artisans’ (tradesmen), representing every kind of trade, went to evening classes, and ‘ladies’ to afternoon classes. In 1908, when founding teacher David Con Hutton retired, the school had a roll of 498 students, and classes were held from 9.30 a.m. to 9 p.m. each weekday and on Saturday mornings.
Using this item
Hocken Library, University of Otago
Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.