The plant manufacturing the facing stones for the Dunedin Chief Post Office is seen here in June 1934. The building was constructed out of reinforced concrete faced with Pataruru stone (a pinkish-red ignimbrite) and Bluff granite. Fletcher Construction built it between 1935 and 1937. Along with the Wellington railway station, also a Fletchers job, it was one of the largest contracts ever let for building in New Zealand.
Using this item
Otago Daily Times
Reference: 16 June 1934, p. 10
Permission of the Otago Daily Times must be obtained before any re-use of this image.