Hawke’s Bay was initially part of the Wellington province. As this newspaper clipping from 1857 describes, settlers became discontented because they believed little money was spent in the region relative to the revenue the Wellington Provincial Council collected from local land sales, and customs and export duties. Hawke’s Bay had only two members on the council (out of a total of 30) and felt little connection to far-flung Wellington. Settlers lobbied for their own provincial council, which was granted in 1858.
Using this item
National Library of New Zealand, Papers Past
Reference: The Southern Cross, 23 January 1857, p. 3
Permission of the National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.