This 1874 photograph captures Wellington’s emerging financial district. The Wellington branch of the Bank of New Zealand is the large building at centre-left. On the harbour side, across Customhouse Quay, are Plimmer’s and Queen’s wharves. The three-storey, triple-roofed building at Queen’s wharf is a bond store. Wellington’s customhouse and post office are on the other side. This layout highlights the strong relationship between money, trade and communications in mercantile cities.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.