Raoul Island, the northernmost of the Kermadec Islands, is an active volcano which last erupted in 2006. This watercolour of part of the caldera was painted by J. Glen Wilson in 1854, when HMS Herald visited the island. Blue Lake (foreground) fills an explosion crater. The small cone on the right side of the lake was erupted about 1650 AD. It was later partly destroyed by an explosive eruption in 1879. The 1964 and 2006 eruptions also came from this vent.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.