This cairn at Maketū was built in 1940, to commemorate the landing of the Te Arawa canoe after its journey from Polynesia. The Māori children are almost certainly descendants of the original voyagers. 1940 marked the centennial of the Treaty of Waitangi between Māori and the British Crown, and 100 years of British sovereignty over New Zealand.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: 1/2-018975; F
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment