The Taruheru freezing works, the first in the region, was opened by Nelson Brothers of Hawke’s Bay in 1889. At first only 200–300 sheep could be handled each day, but after expansion in 1900 it could process 1,000 sheep per day. It closed in 1923, leaving the works at Kaiti as the only one in Gisborne.
Using this item
Tairawhiti Museum, Te Whare Taonga O Te Tairawhiti, William F. Crawford Collection
Permission of Tairawhiti Museum, P O Box 716, Gisborne, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.