In 1859 Marlborough’s capital was established at Picton, where a town had been laid out in 1850 and many runholders had bought town sections. The provincial council buildings are on the right of this picture (with the jail in the centre). Without a road connection to the Wairau – the main centre of population in the province – Picton’s position as the capital was always in doubt, and the council moved to Blenheim in 1865.
Using this item
Picton Maritime and Heritage Museum
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.