These undistinguished buildings housed the Marlborough Provincial Council from 1865 until the abolition of the provinces in 1876. The buildings burnt to the ground on 1 November 1876, the day the provincial institutions were formally abolished, in a fire which destroyed much of the business centre of the town.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Reference: T. Lindsay Buick, Old Marlborough, NZ. Palmerston North: Hart and Keeling, 1900. pp 448-449
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence